Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Travel Journal 1: Focusing on Good Choices

Recently I was talking with a friend about traveling. She noted that she always gains weight due to all the eating out and drinking, etc. I started thinking about how common that is. So many people lament the same troubles. They diet and exercise when they're home and in their normal routines, but as soon as their environment changes, health goes out the window.



My recent long weekend away was a great opportunity to try to reset my commitment to health and fitness. I packed a larger suitcase, taking sneakers, exercise clothes, and my heart rate monitor and earphones.

I took some pleasure reading for the plane and for any free time - turns out there wasn't much of any! But at least I was prepared in case there was.

First workout was a good one. I'm trying to do 60 minutes of cardio (broken into different exercises - this one was half elliptical, half treadmill) and then ab work and lunges. 100 lunges to be exact. Burrrrn!

The next night, I changed things up with some stationary cycling (random hills) and then another round on the treadmill and some arm work before cranking those abs.

The last two nights were brutal with long work days, so I didn't get a chance to work out. I did take a walk one evening after dinner… beautiful sights!

As far as eating goes, I did pretty well. I ate three meals a day, making the best choices at breakfast (as always). One dinner out with colleagues, I chose a light vegetable and chicken stir fry over jasmine rice. It was SOOOOO GOOOD! I am excited to recreate the dish at home. Another dinner, I chose a spring onion risotto that was delicious and flavorful. I did have one splurge - Smashburger.

I had the classic Smashburger and Smashfries. They were very good but it's definitely not a meal I could eat very often! But it's one of those splurges that is worth it - it was satisfying and enjoyable, and I just needed the one.

All in all, I'd say this trip was decently successful, and although I did not get a 3rd workout in, I was able to keep from gaining weight (actually am down a pound from when I left) and enjoyed what I ate.

I wonder if there are other ideas for maintaining health and fitness goals while traveling, or even when home-life is hectic and heavy?

No comments:

Post a Comment