Tuesday, July 1, 2014

What's for Lunch 1: Not Your Ordinary Grilled Cheese


Years ago, I fell in love with a sandwich made at one of my favorite delis in New York City. It had deli ham, fresh brie, spicy honey mustard, and thinly sliced green apple on fresh, crusty bread. They were rich and flavorful and such a delight. I miss being able to walk to my local deli and get things like this.

So, for lunch I decided I wanted to make something light and flavorful. Whenever I'm out for lunch and not super hungry, I'm drawn to grilled cheese, so that's what I decided to have. But not just any grilled cheese. I wanted flavors, and what better way to jazz up an ordinary grilled cheese than to put a little spin on it like my favorite NYC deli?





Ingredients: sprouted Ezekiel bread (you can find this at Trader Joe's or in the frozen organic section of your local grocery store), 2 slices of low-fat white American cheese (or cheese of your choice - I actually like Provolone best), sweet hot mustard, and a green apple.


Put the mustard on one side of each slice of bread, then put cheese in the middle and toss in the toaster oven until bread is golden toasted and cheese is a bit melty. Meanwhile, slice the green apple thinly (but not paper thin unless you prefer it that way!). You only need to slice about a quarter of the apple.

Lift up one side of the sandwich and throw the apple slices in there. Replace. Enjoy!



Yum! This sandwich is mellow, but not without flavor. The hot/sweet flavor of the mustard combined with the creaminess of the cheese and the tart crisp apples is such a great combination. I like how comforting but light this is. And of course, by using sprouted bread, it's a little kinder on the tummy. I served it with homemade "lemonade," which is just ice water with a little lemon juice and organic liquid stevia from Trader Joe's.

If you stumble across this and try it out, please let me know below how you like it! What other variations do you like?

Twitter: @ReasnableBlonde
Email: WhatsForLunchKelly@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment