Sunday, April 6, 2014

Welcome!

Hello blogiverse!

Welcome to What's for Lunch, Kelly? I have a lot of plans for this space, and I can't wait to get started! But first, here are some answers to who, what, and why.


Who I Am
I'm Kelly. Early 30s, former swimmer/dancer/skinny kid, current academic and researcher, lover of all starchy carbohydrates. Type II diabetes runs rampant in my family (along with cholesterol and other health issues), so I face natural challenges. There will be plenty more on my story later.

What This Blog Is
This is a space to report what I'm learning as I weed through information. There are a LOT of inconsistencies and misunderstandings out there about diabetes! I also love to cook and want to share recipes and meal ideas that I discover as I make my way through all this.

Why 'What's for Lunch, Kelly?'?
The title for this blog actually came about after I was reminiscing about an old favorite childhood book, "What's for Lunch, Charley?" The book is really old, but the basic story is about a boy named Charley who notices a new girl in his class, Rosabelle. Rosabelle has quite an impressive lunch (Charley notes), and one afternoon he finds himself on quite a little adventure to enjoy the same meal.

I love flavor and I love food. I'm a big believer in the power of variety and creativity. If your meal looks good, smells good, tastes good, and has a lot of different flavors, you're more likely to be satisfied. The way that book described Rosabelle's lunch reminds me that taking care to pack my lunch with a lot of variety, flavors, and even a little bit of chocolate can make meal time especially satisfying. And with the need to watch my carb intake higher than ever before, I'm going to need all the help I can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment